Norwich Rugby Club Can’t Capitalise On Chances

By on 9th January in Our Company News

The visitors thoroughly deserved this win at a windy Beeston Hyrne on Saturday. Norwich played with the wind slightly in their favour in the first half, but at the end of the day the elements played little part in the result.

Norwich charging forward

Norwich started well putting their opponents under pressure from the kick off, but unable to capitalise. Wymondham relieved the pressure, but Norwich responded with a great break by skipper Jonny Wheater playing at full back, which was well supported by winger Calum Macauley who was tackled short of the line, but Wheater was there to take the ball over and touch down to give Norwich the early lead. The try was not converted.

Wymondham defending

There then followed a very ordinary spell in the game with neither side seeming able to finish chances which they were both creating, Wymondham in particular ignoring overlaps on the left, which with better passing would surely have brought tries. As it was after the referee had dished out 3 yellow cards, 2 against Wymondham for killing the ball and one against Josh Ives, the Norwich scrum half, it was the visitors who equalised with a well taken try by centre Sokia after a loose Norwich kick out of defence. This was not converted.

Norwich dodging the challenge

Wymondham stepped up the pace and were well worth their lead at half time as full back Stephen Sims, filling in at fly half, made a telling break to score near the posts and he had no trouble adding the conversion to give them a 7 point cushion at the break.

Wymondham attacking

They were unlucky not to increase the lead just after half time when Sims went wide with an easy penalty. Norwich hit back straight away with a period of pressure, which saw prop Aaron Swanborough go over from a rolling maul and fly half Rob Micklethwaite added the conversion to level the score.

Norwich spreading the play

At this point it was anybody’s game, but Wymondham seemed to want it more than Norwich. The game became a dog fight and it was no surprise when Sims kicked the visitors into the lead with a well struck penalty after 22 minutes, a lead they never relinquished despite the odd Norwich flurry, which normally petered out through poor retention. Both sides were guilty of coughing up possession, but once Norwich started to chase the game there was a certain inevitability about the result and it was Wymondham who came away with the spoils and the points.

Norwich going for tackle

Diving for the ball

Anglian Home Improvements raising the standard since 1966. Visit the Anglian website to check out our January sale.

big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more