No Luck For Knights

By on 5th December in Our Company News

The Anglian Knights sponsored by Anglian Home Improvements are desperate for their first win of the season, and looked like they may get something at home to Ketts Tavern.

Although the boys in white were confident, they didn’t get off to the best of starts, conceding a goal within the first few minutes. Ketts Tavern won a throw in, level with the edge of the penalty area on the left hand side. Ketts had a player with a huge throw in and with the wind behind him the ball travelled deep into the penalty area. With a big bunch of players it was flicked on by a Ketts player and just before goalkeeper Joe Young could get his gloves around it, a Ketts player had ghosted in from the back post and flicked it around the keeper. 1-0

Anglian defending

The Knights were not baffled by this start as it has happened too often this season, but they kept their heads and played some magnificent football, winning a free-kick on the right side, when Louie Watts was tackled unfairly, picking up a knock along the way. Anglian’s young right back lofted the ball into the penalty area, which was flicked on by Jim Newman to the chest, then foot of Jack Hurrell, who made no mistake burying the ball. 1-1

Jack scoring

Prolific goal scorer Jack Hurrell increased his goal tally 10 minutes later, with a well taken goal from the left hand side of the penalty area. 2-1 Anglian and things were looking up!

It was an end to end game and moments later Jack Hurrell almost got his hat-trick, after some great play spreading from left to right, the ball came into the box and his volley was saved well by the keeper.

Anglian marking tightly from a throw in

The game began to settle, but with about 5 minutes left in the first half Ketts applied the pressure and managed to get an equaliser after Anglian failed to clear their lines from a corner, leaving the big centre back to smash the ball into the net. 2-2 half time score.

The half time team talk was a case of carry on doing what you are doing; everybody was playing well, although both Louie and Mark Cook were continuing with slight knocks.

Half time team talk

The second half began and the Knights were attacking with the wind, but they didn’t get off to the best of starts again. Although they didn’t concede for some time, they were being pressed deep into their own half with the long balls from Ketts.

On about 60 minutes Ketts took the lead when the big team had a corner, which was drilled into the 6 yard box and bundled over the line by the team in red. 3-2

Ketts corner

With Ketts attacking hard and winning a lot in the air, it was no surprise when Ketts took the lead through a miss-kick from Joe Young, which fell straight to a striker. As he ran into the box solid centre back Ian Probert came across to prevent a goal, but in doing so he wiped out the striker, giving away a penalty. Up stepped the number 9 in smashed the ball straight at Joe Young who rectified his mistake brilliantly.

Goal kick Anglian regroup

Luck was not on Anglian’s side who were on the back foot now and Ketts continued to apply the pressure, managing to add a fourth eventually to make it 4-2.

Anglian sparked into life and with substitute Jake Robinson coming on to add some flair and pace on the left wing. Chances began to flow, with Jake being amongst a couple of them, bursting into the area, but last ditch tackling denying him both times. A chance fell to Louie Watts on the right hand side, but when he cut inside onto his left foot, a defender flew in to deny a goal scoring opportunity.

Anglian challenging for every ball

The goal finally came with just seconds left, when a speculative 40 yard effort from Jim Newman swerved in the wind, snuggling nicely into the top right corner of the net. 4-3 was the final score and the Knights will feel a little bit hard done by that they didn’t at least get a point.


big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more