Knights Can’t Find The Net!

By on 30th January in Our Company News

It has been the story of the season for the Knights as they went into the game against Hempnall hoping to grab all 3 points, but they just couldn’t find the net.

Despite dominating the whole game, with great passing and disrupting the majority of attacks thrown at them, Anglian could not find that final pass to put the ball into the goal.

Anglian throw-in

Hempnall goal-kick

The game started well for Anglian as they put on lots of pressure, working the line to good effect. The first chance came for Craig Kiddell with a free-kick just outside the box, but his effort curled just wide. Jim Newman then had an effort at goal after a Hempnall goal kick was won by Anglian and it fell nicely to the feet of the big striker, but his low hard drive, flew just wide.

Jack with the ball on the by-line

Anglian thought they had taken the lead after 20 minutes when a throw-in from Liam Smith was controlled by Louie Watts, who picked out Craig Kiddell just inside the penalty box. He switched the ball to the left for Jack Hurrell to smash the ball into the net, but it was given offside.

Hempnall then put up more of a challenge, spreading the ball from left to right and winning a corner. The corner was whipped in and met by the head of the tallest player who nodded it in at the near post. 1-0

Matt Jillings

Anglian attacking

The amount of times Anglian have been in this position meant they were not put off by the goal, as they continued to push for a goal. This time it was Matt Jillings who had an effort on goal from the left side, at an acute angle, but his shot crashed into the side netting.

Half-time came with the Knights trailing 1-0. The team talk was simple; carry on the great play and try to get a shot away.

Team talk

Anglian defending the corner

Although everyone was fired up and giving it everything to grab a win, it was going to be one of those days. Anglian were playing 3 at the back with Kirk Lanckmans making an outfield return after a knee injury and playing well. Despite only playing 3 at the back, Hempnall didn’t often trouble them.

Matt Jillings again came close, again coming in from the left corner and powering a shot at goal, this time it was on target, but the keeper grabbed it at a second attempt.

Jim's long range effort

Anglian pressuring the goal

New signing Josh Powley came on for Kirk Lanckmans with 25 minutes remaining and changed the look of the midfield. With some silky passing, the ball came across the edge of the area to Louie Watts who was fouled dramatically, but the resulting free-kick from Powley, didn’t trouble the keeper.

Louie Watts then broke in on goal, thanks to superb link up play between Kierstan Foreman and Jack Hurrell, Watts weaved left and right a few times, before his shot from around the penalty spot was blocked by a last ditch tackle.

Jack Hurrell controlling the ball

Craig and Jack stood over the ball for a free-kick

Jack dinked the ball into the area

Anglian were piling on the pressure, but on a rare Hempnall attack they won a free-kick on edge of the centre circle. The resulting ball looped into the box over the majority of players and an under pressure Liam Smith rose the highest between two attackers, but couldn’t control his header, which looped over the outstretched keeper who, despite his best efforts, couldn’t keep it out of the net. 2-0

With only minutes left, the win was sealed for Hempnall, but the Knights definitely deserved to come out of the game with something.

Anglian getting out of their area

Josh Powley free-kick

big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more