Knights lack killer instinct

By on 30th September in Fun

Saturday saw the Anglian Knights travel to Sprowston rec to play recently relegated side, Dyers Arms as they looked to bounce back from two defeats.

It was a relatively unchanged side to the team that started against Costessey Sports two weekends ago, the only changes being Kierstan Foreman returning to left back and Jim Newman earning a spot up front.

Anglian Knights kick off against Dyers Arms

The first half was dominated by Dyers Arms as the experienced side used their power to win balls in the air and were utilising the massive pitch. They created the best chances of the first half, the first being an effort that bounced off the bar. The second was a powerful free-kick which was very unfortunate to be denied by the bar.

Dyers Arms putting pressure on

Anglian were held in their own half for long periods of the game, but the last 10 minutes of the half the Knights picked up their game and created a couple of chances. Matty Thompson, who replaced Jack Lucas earlier as he picked up a head injury, had a good chance, but his shot from the edge of the penalty area whizzed wide of the post.

Kieron Orford came close too after a corner wasn’t cleared, but his shot dipped just over the bar.

Anglian attacking

The second half saw the Anglian Home Improvements sponsored side push Dyers Arms back into their own half, but the final ball was missing and there was no real break through. Dyers Arms eventually broke the back four and took the lead. The ball in from the left wing wasn’t dealt with and the striker had an easy opportunity to put it in the net. 1-0

Anglian brushed themselves off and carried on trying to create space and were unlucky not to have equalised when Jim Newman’s effort from the cross was headed off the line. There were strong shouts for a penalty moments later as a Dyers defender appeared to block the ball with his hand, but the ref waved play in.

Dyers pressing the Knights

Dyers Arms used the counter attack to great effect with ten minutes left, punting the ball long for their striker. He latched onto the ball on the right and picked out his partner in the middle who slotted it round keeper, Reece Harrison. The post came to the rescue only to ping off and bounce into the net from Kieron Orford who was chasing back to clear.

2-0 was the final score and Anglian still have no points on the board. Hopefully this week they can grab their first win of the season against South Walsham.

big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more