There’s a lot of versatility in the world of windows – and that’s a good thing, too, as every house is unique and has its own requirements.
Take timber windows, for example. At Anglian, we don’t use the “one size fits all” model for our timber windows, doors and conservatories. Our timber products come in hardwood and softwood, and from there, the options only go on. Timber species, colour, wood finish and decorative elements are all on the table, ensuring the product you get is the exact product you want.
We know what you’re thinking. To start, what’s the difference between hardwood and softwood timber? We’ll give you a hint: it has nothing to do with weight (fun fact: balsa is a hardwood. But don’t worry – we don’t use it!).
To demystify all your wooden window questions, we’ll break down the basics between hardwood and softwood timber.
What’s the difference between hardwood and softwood timber?
Whether timber is hardwood or softwood all comes down to the timber’s origin. Each timber species is unique, and features a different texture, grain and density – all of which have their own list of benefits.
That’s why Anglian offers windows from a range of timber species, each of which work better for different homes. The timber species you should choose will depend largely on your aesthetics and what you’re looking for from your windows.
- Derived from broad leave trees
- Naturally more durable to withstand weather
- Available in painted or stained finish
- Responsibly-sourced from Sapele (West Africa), Meranti (East Malaysia) and Agba (West Africa) trees
- Generally does not require additional preservative treatments
- Derived from cone bearing trees
- Treated with a double vacuum preserve system to protect against weather
- Available in painted finish only
- Responsibly-sourced from European Pine and Siberian Larch (area stretching between Siberia to Mongolia and northern China) trees
- Easier to work with and generally features a fine, uniform texture
Why choose timber windows?
Timber windows are particularly popular for period homes, as they comply in conservation areas and have a classic, more traditional look. Whether they’re sourced from a hardwood or softwood species, they’re also precisely-joined and especially long-lasting, as all of Anglian’s timber windows are finished with our three-coat system to prevent against flakes and cracks.
Need more convincing? Here are our top six reasons to choose timber windows:
- All Anglian wooden windows are sustainably-sourced from Forest Stewardship Council timber.
- Our wooden windows are available in casement and sash styles, and can be customised in six painted and two stained finishes.
- Anglian’s timber windows come double glazed as standard, which means they’ll help reduce your heating bills by sealing in more heat.
- They’re fitted with advanced safety and security features to give you peace of mind.
- The timber is weather-sealed, which means it won’t rot, warp or shrink.
- All of our windows come with a 10-year guarantee, so you’re getting the best for years to come.
In short, you can’t really go wrong with timber windows. Hardwood or softwood, they’re versatile, durable and pretty good-looking, too.
Still haven’t made up your mind between hardwood and softwood timber? Schedule an appointment with one of our design experts or visit your nearest Anglian showroom to see samples of our wooden windows today.