Anglian Knights fail to beat Frettenham

By on 11th February in Fun

The Anglian Knights form of late hasn’t been great and they faced a tough challenge on Saturday against Frettenham, a team that have only lost once in the last 7 games.

The Anglian Knights game kicking off against Frettenham

The starting line-up had to be reshuffled again this week as the Knights were without goalkeeper Reece Harrison, so up stepped Louie Watts. The back four saw Kirk Lanckmans and Kierstan Foreman continue in their full back position with Kieron Orford and Tom Offord at centre back. Manager Phil Perriton started with three in midfield, Tom Betts, Aaron Hooper and Matthew Nobbs. Jack Hurrell and Josh Taubman were the wide men supporting Jim Newman up front.

The game started as a midfield battle with neither side taking a hold of the game, but Frettenham applied pressure and forced a corner after 10 minutes. The ball into the box wasn’t cleared by the Knights and it fell nicely to a Frettenham player on the edge of the 6 yard box. He made no mistake smashing the ball into the net. 0-1

First half - Frettenham scoring their first goal

Frettenham took a hold of the game now and continued to cause issues for the defence. Despite a one-on-one save by Watts, the striker made no mistake when he was put through again as he slotted it into the bottom right corner of the goal. 0-2

First half - Frettenham scoring against Anglian Knights

Anglian still couldn’t find a way into the game and never really got their passing game going. Tom Betts came closest for the Knights in the first half when the ball dropped to him in the penalty area, but he blasted the ball high over the bar. Frettenham then attacked again and scored again, once more it was from a corner. The ball was whipped in from the left corner and went straight across the 6 yard box to the back post. It was a Frettenham player who reacted quickest smashing the ball into the net. 0-3

First half - Kierstan clearing the ball for Anglian Knights

Things went from bad to worse when Anglian conceded again; another one-on-one opportunity was well taken, slotting it low to the keeper’s right. 0-4

First half - Anglian Knights defending a corner against Frettenham

Half-time couldn’t have come sooner and the whole team knew what they were doing wrong. They now had to try and turn the game around and pull off an amazing comeback.

Anglian came out in the second half with all guns blazing and grabbed a goal back quickly. Jack Hurrell was on the score sheet again, finishing well to put the Knights back in with a shout. 1-4

First half - Anglian Knights Tom Betts on the ball

Frettenham didn’t lay stop attacking, despite their lead and they began to apply pressure to the Anglian Home Improvements sponsored team. They scored their fifth goal on 60 minutes when the ball wasn’t cleared, the striker smashed it into the net. 1-5

Anglian were not giving up yet though as Jack Hurrell claimed his second goal. Substitute Lee Kiddell’s first touch was a sublime pass to Hurrell who chested it down and tucked it round the keeper. 2-5

Second half - Tom Betts striding forward for the Knights

Frettenham came back at Anglian again, working the ball down the wings well. A cross into the box at the near post was sliced by Kieron Orford and crashed into the post, bouncing across the 6 yard box; it fell to a Frettenham striker who struck low and hard, but it was denied by the feet of Watts in goal. Frettenham did get their sixth though as another failed clearance let Frettenham’s striker have a shot from the edge of the penalty area. It was hit well and nestled perfectly in the bottom left corner of the net. 2-6

Second half - Anglian Knights Kierstan heading clear

It was an end-to-end game and Anglian grabbed their third of the game through Tom Betts. Some great passing football broke the Frettenham defence. Betts picked up the ball in the penalty area on the left and did well to get his shot low past the keeper. 3-6

Anglian were playing some gung-ho football in the dying embers, but it was Frettenham who stole the last goal. The goal kick from the right side of the penalty area was unchallenged, falling to the right boot of a Frettenham player who struck from range beating the keeper who was off his line. 3-7

First half - Anglian Knights Hooper on the ball

It was a poor defeat for the Anglian Knights who will be hoping to move on quickly and get a result against bottom of the table Ketts Tavern on Saturday 16th February.

As always you can vote for your Anglian Man of the Match;

big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more