Anglian Knights Record First Win Ever!

By on 9th August in Our Company News

This weekend was a great weekend for Great Britain in the Olympics with numerous medals being won in the athletes respectable sports, but I think the biggest story of the weekend was the 4-2 victory for the Anglian Knights, who were unlucky not to win a single game last season.

They are currently getting fit for the season ahead and have been training hard to ensure that last season is not repeated. This weekend’s friendly saw them take on Old Catton and the Knights were feeling confident after a great game against Hellesdon (last season’s runners-up), which they drew 3-3 with a dramatic last gasp equaliser from Hellesdon. Anglian also played Jubilee Rangers 2 weeks ago in a repeat fixture and despite the score line, the boys in white will be pleased with their overall performance.

Old Catton would’ve have come into Saturday’s game confident of a win after doing the double over Anglian last season. However, thanks to a few new additions to the team, the Knights are looking stronger than ever and took the lead very early on.

A wonder strike from Mark Cook on the edge of the penalty area stole the lead. Last seasons top goal scorer Jack Hurrell was in fine form too as he doubled the Knights lead moments later. After some great passes, Jack was put in on goal by Matt Jillings and made no mistake burying the ball.

Jack Hurrell on the ball going for goal for the Anglian Knights

Anglian had never been 2-0 up before and with this lead they lost their shape and concentration resulting in Old Catton’s influential captain grabbing a goal back. This goal sparked the Knights back into life. First Aaron Hooper’s long range effort dipped ferociously, crashing into the bar. Anglian then broke the defence to give them a 2 goal advantage again. A superb through-ball from Josh Powley was picked up by Louie Watts on the edge of the box, his first touch was delightful laying the ball of for an easy finish.

Anglian were in control of the game now and passed the ball around well, retaining possession and pushing forward when they could. Hurrell was on the score sheet again with minutes left in the half when a quick, long throw-in from Watts picked out the prolific striker who skinned his defender twice before tucking the ball in at the near post. 4-1 was the half-time score and the Knights were ecstatic.

Manager, Phil Perriton gave an easy team-talk of same again, whilst coach Martin Smith gave encouragement and advice to the back four to keep them focused in the second half.

With different options on the bench and a comfortable lead, Perriton used this opportunity to play with different formations and test some of the new lads out. The back four already consisted of 3 new players, all fresh from youth football, Ellis Watts, Kieran Schofield and Kieron Orford who have all performed brilliantly this pre-season. Matthew Nobbs and Aaron Hooper have also changed the shape of the midfield, both coming in and doing a fine job spraying the ball about.

The second half wasn’t quite as exciting as the first as Old Catton pushed hard to get back into the game. They did manage to get one goal back, although it was an Anglian player who scored it. Some good play down the right flank created space for their captain who fired the ball goal bound, but our new goalkeeper Shay did well to get a leg to it. Unfortunately, the rebound from his leg crashed into Ellis Watts and rolled into the net.

Louie Watts winning the ball in the air for Anglian Knights

4-2 was the final score and the whole team were thrilled to finally get their first victory. Next week will see the Anglian Knights take on Ketts Tavern at Anglian Windows Social Club. If you fancy coming to watch and cheer the team on, Kick-off is 6.30pm on Wednesday 15th.


big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more