10 Knights take down East Ruston

By on 19th October in Our Company News

The Anglian Home Improvements sponsored football team, Anglian Knights, have had a much better start to this year’s campaign in comparison to last season. They have 6 points in the league from 5 games and progressed to the second round of the Primary cup. Saturday’s game saw them travel to play East Ruston reserves in the Primary Cup as the team hoped to continue their cup run.

The starting line-up consisted of Reece Harrison in between the sticks, Ellis Watts at right back with Kierstan Foreman on the left. Josh Powley and Kieron Orford reformed their centre back partnership to complete the back four. Josh Taubman started right wing with Jack Hurrell left wing; Aaron Hooper skippered the team again from centre midfield with Mark Cook. Dwayne Powley lead the Knights at the front with Lee Kiddell, who got his first start of the season.

The game did not start as the Knights would’ve hoped! After a great 2-0 win against CNSOB last weekend, the back four had looked solid, but it only took 30 seconds for East Ruston to break the defence. The game kicked-off, Anglian lost the ball and East Ruston made a few passes before unleashing a shot from the edge of the penalty box, sending the ball into the bottom right corner of the net. 1-0

This woke Anglian up and they got into their usual stride, passing the ball well, switching the play, making diagonal runs and putting the ball into dangerous areas. However, despite this pressure, the team in white couldn’t get the final ball right. Ellis Watts and Josh Taubman teamed up well on the right flank, but despite some good balls into the box, there was no conviction with the attempts at goal.

Half-time soon came around and two changes were made; Matt Rush came on for Kiddell and Foreman was replaced by Louie Watts. Manager Phil Perriton’s team talk consisted of “get the ball into the net” and his substitutions and change of formation (to a 3-5-2) demonstrated his eagerness to attack.

The team talk and changes had a positive impact on the squad as they equalised within five minutes. The ball was worked from the defence to the midfield; Louie Watts played the ball through for Dwayne Powley, who managed to get past his defender and tuck the ball into the left side of the goal. 1-1

This game was far from over as it took yet another twist! Jack Hurrell, who has been in fine form lately, became frustrated and was booked for descent; moments later, a ferocious tackle from Hurrell gave the referee no choice but to give him a second yellow and his marching orders, leaving the Anglian Knights with 10 men.

A quick reshuffle and Cook substituted with Keiran Schofield, so now the Knights were playing a 4-4-1 formation, but still pressuring East Ruston. Matt Rush was causing havoc up front, creating space and picking out some lovely passes, but his shooting wasn’t as accurate as normal as he missed a three or four chances.

Rush finally got a “rub of the green” with only 10 minutes remaining. Anglian won a corner, which was whipped in by Dwayne Powley. It looked as though it would land on top of the goal net, but it dropped on the goal line, hitting Rush and ending up in the goal. Anglian were now 2-1 up, in spite of only having 10 men.

East Ruston had the upper hand with an extra player and ploughed their men forward, although with some solid defending and Harrison commanding his penalty area, the Knights held out to grab a well deserved win. Keep an eye on the Anglian Knights Facebook page to see who they are drawn against in the next round of the cup. They are playing a league game this Saturday against Hellesdon Reserves; if you would like to come along and support the team they are playing at Hellesdon Rec, Norwich, 2pm Kick-off.

big discounts on Anglian conservatories, click here to find out more